Words: Liam Sumnicht
Photos: Jodie Platz Photography
Feb 18th, 2012


Update Feb 19th, 2012: WE GOT TRUDY BACK! Florida, it’s ON.


Original post:

Today is the third day of tour. Unfortunately, instead of sitting in the van flying past road signs and blurry country scapes somewhere between Cape Girardeau and Cleveland, I am sitting in my kitchen at home, on the computer, while Nate and Bill sit in the living room discussing the tightening up of songs (above). Nobody said the life of a young touring rock and roll band was glamorous. Let’s back up a little bit.

Before this tour, our trusty van Trudy got a little shifty out of the blue and took a turn for the worse. We got access to an incredible new-used ’87 Chevy G10. The thing is huge, and exactly what we needed. It wasn’t quite ready yet, though, and the mechanic didn’t have time to do the necessary repairs before we hit the road. So we worked it out with him that we’d drive the 2 hours to Columbia, play the first show of tour, then head home, wake up early and take the van in first thing to finally get her road warrior worthy.

Our plan was set, and we hit the road to the first show. About halfway to Columbia, out of nowhere came a terrible, loud, “THUMP! Thump, thump, thump.” We got out to discover a blown tire.

Not the worst thing. We have AAA, after all. We got the tire switched out and the spare ready, and waited.

The AAA truck showed up, the kind worker put extra air in the spare we’d popped on, tightened ‘er up, and we were back on our way. Life was good!

Within somewhere around 5 miles, we had deja vu; Another “THUMP! Thump thump thump.” The spare had blown. This time, we were out of tires. Jodie Platz, with us on tour, taking all the photos and video, was able to save the day with help from her friends, two of which were already at the show. Mackenzie and Jenn hopped in their Tahoe, and put the pedal to the metal to come the 60 miles and pick us up, along with our gear. In the meantime, the same AAA guy came back, loaded the van up for a tow, and took us to the next gas station. Mackenzie and Jenn showed up, drove 60 miles back to Columbia, and we got there just in time to hop on stage and play a 45 minute rock’n’roll show.

After the show, we rode back to the van, moved our gear back into our broken down van, and slept in it till the morning, when we would be able to get a new tire.

We woke up, and the tire was a sight for sore eyes.

We made phone calls until we found the guy with the right tire that was close enough to come to us, and went inside the gas station restaurant for some much needed coffee to fuel our next steps.

The gentleman arrived, got the tire replaced, and we topped off her oil.

We hit the road again, back to KC to get this thing repaired. Life was good.

…Or so we thought

Massive oil leak.

So we found a mechanic, and promptly got to waiting.

By the time we got  back to Kansas City, it was afternoon, and not enough time left for the repair. So after racking our brains for every possible option, it became inevitable we had to cancel the show, and stay here. That was yesterday. Today, we got it in early in the morning, and it turned out, there were more problems, and the van couldn’t make it to Florida without a few days of work.

So, we have once more returned our love to our old van, Trudy. We have asked her mechanic to make her happy again, and we will leave tomorrow for Florida.

This time, we shall make it all the way. Come hell or high water.

Please, send us good juju.